Sunday, September 4, 2011

The #1 thing I miss about China:

You don't tip in China.

I was at a bar recently, and at the end of the evening I paid for my drinks in cold hard cash. Arguably it was a rash decision, but I had a twenty bill to cover $14 in gin and tonics. The bartender took the money, and said something to the tune of "your credit is good here" and kept all my change. Infuriating.

My first month in Changchun some friends and I decided to splurge on fancy restaurants because why save money? Spending $14 on a meal in the US isn't out of the ordinary, maybe gets you a nice buger, fries and a drink. In China, well, developing China like in Changchun, that buys a feast in a posh environment.

So my friends and I ate out, and we were for the most part amazed by the level of service and decided to leave a 20% gratuity. As we were walking out of the restaurant our waitress ran outside with the money and said "you left your money at the table!" When we tried to comfort our distraught fuwuyuan by telling her not to worry, it's yours and you should keep it, she steadfastly refused.

So yes, without being preachy I can still be honest and say that particular Chinese custom works for me.  Tips are not a right is all I'm saying, shouldn't a satisfied customer be all the necessary reward?  Maybe that's just my excuse for being cheap :p

 The best dumpling restaurant in Shanghai- great food, great service and no tips!

No comments:

Post a Comment